Welcome

Welcome to A Musician's Tarradiddle!  I know what you are thinking, "what is a tarradidle?"  Simply stated, "A Musician's Tale" was already taken and I happen to be addicted to online thesauruses.  Although the term "tar·ra·did·dle also tar·a·did·dle (tr-ddl)" also implies " a petty falsehood or fib" or "silly pretentious speech or writing," the content of the blog will include my experiences, reflections, opinions, and so on.  I am no one truly magnificent, just a recently married music education and music therapy major who apparently thinks it would be fun to share some thoughts.  I hope you are not disappointed ; )  Sit back and enjoy the soundtrack of my life.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Shhhhhhhh! The concert is about to begin! An Introduction



The last few months have been a blur.  I recently graduated from Wartburg College(yes, it is a funny name and you should Google Wartburg Castle if you snickered), a small, private school in northern Iowa.  I majored in music education so I can spread my passion and love of music to children and young adults--and yes, I will eventually write about the importance of school music programs and all my wonderful (and interesting) experiences as a student teacher.  I also majored in music therapy, a lesser known field, especially in the Midwest.  More to come on the subject of music therapy, but in short, it is a research-based field in which the various elements of music such as tempo (speed), dynamics (loud or softness), timbre (sound quality), etc. are manipulated to produce change in various domains such as physical, emotional, and mental health.  Again, more to come.  

I will begin an internship to complete my music therapy degree with the Detroit Public Schools this fall to work with children with special needs, thus my move from a "big" town in Iowa to the Detroit area.  I attended a "large" high school, but something tells me I'm not in the corn fields of Iowa anymore!

Not only have I graduated and moved in the past month, I also married my best friend-the one I swore I'd never date because he was like a brother--so much for that!  In a truly unpredictable and magnificent way, James swept me off my feet and I've been "gliding" ever since.  He is basically on the other side of the universe when it comes to area of study, but somehow the crazy music lady and the computer science/math guy seem to have a lot in common.  He will attend the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor to study in the PhD program for computer science starting in September.  We've just settled into our first apartment and are on the hunt for extra jobs like everyone else until then.   

Well, I think that is definitely enough for now--No lullabies here!

No comments:

Post a Comment